- First, do no harm.
- Stop, look and listen before taking action.
- Don't act in isolation.
- Think beyond the immediate crisis to the long-term.
- Bear in mind the expertise of local organizations.
- Find out how prospective grantees operate.
- Be accountable to those you are trying to help.
- Communicate your work widely, and use it as an educational tool.
- Microfinance institutions, working to eliminate poverty by providing small loans to clients in impoverished circumstance, operate in more than 100 countries and serve more than 75 million borrowers.
- 97% of microloans are eventually repaid by the borrowers.
- The United Nations estimated there were 10.5 million refugees in the world in 2009.
- Charitable giving by all Americans to organizations working overseas increased 6.2% to $8.89 billion in 2009.
- Minneapolis Foundation donors contributed more than $1.2 million to organizations working overseas last year.
For the fact sources please email us or call (612) 672-3853. For more facts about our community visit MN Compass or Wilder Foundation.
Please note that not all activities and issues featured are eligible for funding through our Community Grantmaking program. For more information visit our grant guidelines.