- 164 crimes were reported to the FBI in Minnesota in 2008 involving racial or ethnic bias, religious bias, or bias against the victim’s sexual orientation or disabilities.
- 49 cities and counties in Minnesota have established local human rights commissions.
- Arrests among Native Americans in Minnesota occur at nearly three times the rate of Native Americans nationally. Arrests among African Americans in Minnesota occur at almost twice the rate of African Americans nationally.
- Minnesota is one of 14 states nationwide that prohibit discrimination in private employment based on sexual orientation.
- In 2010, 9% of all Minneapolis residents reported experiencing situations where they felt unaccepted because of their race, ethnicity, or culture at least once a month or more.
For the fact sources please email us or call (612) 672-3853. For more facts about our community visit MN Compass or Wilder Foundation.
Please note that not all activities and issues featured are eligible for funding through our Community Grantmaking program. For more information visit our grant guidelines.